Recently I was invited to chat briefly about my work at Gleebooks in Sydney. The idea behind this video series is to showcase the Sydney Mechanics School of the Arts (SMSA). It’s Australia’s oldest lending library having started way back in 1833 when reading was high on the list when it came to entertainment, for those who were fortunate enough to read and write back then. The SMSA also houses the private book collection of Tom Keneally. Best known for writing Schindler’s Ark, the Booker Prize-winning novel of 1982 that was later made into an award-winning movie, Tom searched for a place to donate his many books when he down-sized a few years ago. The SMSA was the lucky recipient. This video series aims to promote our oldest lending library, the Tom Keneally Centre and authors, as well as giving aspiring writers a glimpse of the writing world. The Sydney Mechanics School of the Arts is located in Pitt Street, Sydney and is open to the public and if you happen to drop by for a visit you may just happen to see Tom Keneally who keeps an office there.
Talking history & writing at Gleebooks
- What the Irish famine and Australia have in common.
- The Cedar Tree hits #4 spot on the Australian Fiction List!
- One dodgy French nobleman & the Italian emigrants who settled in rural NSW
- Nicole Alexander & The Cedar Tree FACEBOOK LIVE THURS 26th MARCH 12noon AEDT
- The nun who caused riots in Australia