Saturday saw us and roughly three and half thousand people head to the Talmoi race track for their centenary celebrations. The Talmoi Picnic Race Club is the longest continuously running club in NSW and is stage three of the golden triangle of racing in the north-west of NSW. The racing calendar in this part of the world starts off in late May at Moree, followed by Mallawa east of Moree over the long weekend. Located in the village of Garah a good forty minute drive from our place, Talmoi is one of those events which everyone enjoys-but it is bush racing. A dirt race track which quickly becomes loose has seen many a favourite come last over the years, with a 100 to 1 winner a few years back proof of the treachery that may await a favourite more at home on grass. It’s not the place for open toe 5 inch heels which a number of young Sydney racegoers soon discovered and that was before they got to the corrugated iron ‘long-drop’ toilets!

A vintage train wound its way from Sydney for the event collecting racegoers at Moree to travel the 50 kms to Talmoi , returning them at dusk. The train was out again on the sunday with two hundred passengers travelling to Garah to enjoy the family fun day. Vintage cars also made an appearance with a much heralded 1911 Overlander poking slowly down the track. The vintage cars also relayed the major sponsors of the day Sygenta to and from the railway which went down a treat. There were marquees, a huge track side screen broadcasting past races and interviews with local racing stalwarts and a racing memorabilia tent displayed ancient trophies, jockey silks, race books and framed pics of past winners. I was pretty chuffed to see Dad’s racehorses hanging in this marquee. All action shots, Sahara Bounty and Bethany Bay can be seen steaming past the winning post, dust flying!

With a picture perfect 22 degrees, many of us had to lose the extra layer or two. The dust rose thick and fast by mid-afternoon thanks to dry, warm weather, hurtling horses and people trampled dirt and my white felt hat had taken on a becoming reddish brown tinge by the end of the day. With every intention of taking some snaps I have to admit that my camera remained tucked in the bottom of my bag. Well there is only so much a girl can hold after all, racebook and vino being the winning combination.